When most people hear the sound of music, consciously or unconsciously, they get caught up in the rhythm of the music and start dancing. This activity, which is carried out as an amateur or professionally, has many benefits.
Dancing is equivalent to exercise and its physical benefits will be similar to other cardio activities. Some of the physical benefits of dance are as follows;
1. Improves cardiovascular health: Heart health organizations have agreed that dance has health benefits that increase heart health. The physical activity rules adults should do are as follows:
At least 150 minutes to 300 minutes per week for moderate intensity exercise
75 minutes to 150 minutes of vigorous aerobic physical activity per week
According to professional ballroom dancer and certified personal trainer Leon Turetsky; All dance styles are considered to be great cardio workouts, as the heart rate is difficult to perform different movements.
2. Increases balance and strength: Professional dancer Jonathan Tylicki, the training director of AKT, a boutique sports concept based on dance, says that dance is a great form of physical fitness because it includes movements in all planes of movement and in all directions. Generally, in daily life, movements such as walking, climbing stairs, general exercises such as treadmills and cycling occur in the sagittal plane. However, dance works all parts of the body and all muscles, including lateral and rotation. This type of movement not only increases strength, but also increases balance.
3. Gently train the body: Many dance styles, such as the tango waltz, are suitable for people with limited mobility or chronic health problems. If people are concerned about the intensity of a classroom, they may need to speak to an instructor before starting the class. The trainer will assist in making any changes to the training program, if necessary.
1. Increases cognitive performance: Many studies show how dance can preserve and even increase thinking ability as you age. If a person needs a reason to act, they should consider dance. According to some studies, scientists have found that areas such as the brain that control memory and skills, such as planning and organizing, improve with exercises such as dance. Also, unlike other types of exercise, dance has the added benefits of improving balance with rhythm and music.
2. Exercises the mind: According to experts, it states that the brain power that needs to be reached especially for dance requires focusing by reminding the change of movement and movements and patterns. This is a great form of mental exercise for the mind, regardless of one’s age.
1. Anyone can do it: One of the great things about dancing is that it’s an activity that anyone can participate in. If the person can move, they can dance, even if only their upper body. This equalizer is what makes his dance so popular with people who have shunned other forms of exercise.
2. It can be a social activity: Although some people prefer to dance when no one is watching, there are incredible benefits to dancing with others. Attending a ballroom or belly dance class, being around other dancing people while dancing with friends or loved ones is beneficial for social and emotional health.
3. Helps increase mood: According to experts, movement and dance are extremely impressive. It helps to escape and relax from problems. It helps to improve mental and emotional health by reducing stress, anxiety and symptoms of depression and increasing the sense of self.
Benefits For Children
Movement and rhythm are naturally good for children, and attending a regular dance class can make the benefits more effective. Not only does dancing allow children to spend their energy in a positive pursuit, it is also a great generally safe way to express themselves. According to experts, choreographer and dance help develop the child’s artistic side and give children the opportunity to speak in another language, such as body language. Dance also helps children learn discipline because they have to memorize and execute certain steps and body movements that require practice and perseverance. Finally, having to work with other dancers who are in line with the same goal encourages teamwork to learn, and this is a skill that is required in different areas of life.
Benefits of Dance According to Its Types
All dance styles from traditional ballet and Bollywood to funk have physical, mental and emotional benefits. The key to how dance can benefit the person is to find the style that is most enjoyed. Here are explanations of dance types and benefits of which dance style people should choose:
What Are the Benefits of Ballet Dancing?
Ballet is a very elegant and technical dance form and is perfect for all ages. Universally, ballet is known to be the basic style for all dance. Because developing a basic understanding for ballet dance is also the most effective dance type. The insights it developed are as follows;
- Foot control
- Core power
Belly dance is a great style to start with, especially if one wants to know how to express oneself using the stomach muscles, arms and hips. It is also a very rhythmic and fun dance style. It is a dance type that is more suitable for adults than children.
Hip-hop is a very free and comfortable dance form that is performed with the participation of the whole body and in which the person can express himself / herself with music. The hip-hop style is great for all ages, especially for those with a lot of personalities and styles who want to dance to popular and modern music.
Tips for Dancing Well
All experts agree on tips for dancing well and having fun. Beyond that, some other tips are as follows:
Letting Go of Insecurity and Fear
The first step to dancing well is to get rid of one’s insecurity and fear. This is the case regardless of the level. Whether the place to be danced is in front of a mirror, in a classroom or in the middle of a nightclub’s dance floor, one has to silence the voice in his mind that says he cannot do or that people judge him. Dance is a state of success when the person is confident and comfortable.
Starting with a Strong Foundation
Even if the experts want to focus on a different dance style, it is recommended that everyone get ballet training. This is because ballet teaches the person how to use proper body fit and foundation. Thus, no matter what movement is done, the person can maintain balance.
Applying Outside the Classroom
While it is very important to take dance lessons, one also needs to practice on their own to solidify the knowledge and make sure the body develops proper muscle memory. This means dancing at home in front of the mirror.
Mastering rhythm and timing before style
Most people focus on the fun part of dance, the style part. However, if a person is taking a training to learn a particular dance style, they must first learn to adjust the basic timing and rhythm. In later stages, he can create his own style by adding his arms, personality and his own interpretation.
Choosing the Right Position in Education
If the dance trainee chooses a position where the instructor will see it, it increases the chances of correcting the instructor’s mistakes. This is effective in getting more successful results in a shorter period.
How to Start Dancing?
While dancing can be as easy as dancing in the living room in the face of some melodies, there are more formal ways to learn different styles of dance and dance technique. Here are some ways to start dancing:
Choosing the dance style: The first step when starting dance training is to choose one or two styles the person is excited to learn. Then some research should be done on these styles to find the best way to learn the methods and techniques.
Taking lessons from a dance course: If formal training is desired, starting a dance course is the best option. Most courses have classes ranging from introductory to advanced. It is necessary to take an introductory course or enroll in an introductory class by choosing the style you want to try.
Taking lessons in the fitness facility: Many gyms and boutique fitness centers offer dance-related classes. For example; pilates, barre, zumba, cardio dance, hip-hop etc. like
Watching an online dance video series: If the person does not have the time or opportunity to attend the course, they can watch dance videos to learn dance. These videos, which give the opportunity to learn by applying all the movements step by step, starting from the basic stage, are published on the internet for free in many channels.
Benefits of dance; It covers all areas of health including physical, mental and emotional. It not only provides a way to express oneself and have fun, but also allows for cardiovascular exercise throughout the week.